Thursday, March 26, 2009

Missouri is the River of the World

Plowing across Missouri’s playing field from its Western goal post in Kansas City to its Eastern one in St. Louis, we became lethargic and slow. Like wading through heavy cream in woolen dungarees, I could barely summon the power to leave the van and stretch my legs. Too many beers, burgers, pizzas and gas station snacks combined with too little exercise, lack of sleep and too few vegetables made me feel like a broken piece of equipment.

For a shot in the arm, I called my friend Dave Boutette from a rest area outside of Columbia. Dave always has a lifting effect on me and it’s easy to get caught up in his laid-back Midwestern frame of mind. I mentioned that we were on our way to play Cicero’s in St. Louis. He recalled getting fucked up there at a Junk Monkeys gig and falling down a flight of stairs trying to lift a bass cabinet. His bandmates patched him up as he fell in and out of consciousness and he eventually woke up sore and hungover on the curb in front of the house where the band was staying at 4am. I don't think that many people know what a rocker he is/was.

For about 60 miles, we saw signs for a shop called Nostalgiaville U.S.A. I figured I could find subject matter for my next 30 songs there, but the band chose Taco Bell instead and the only nostalgia I felt was for the legit tacos I ate in Texas.

I was still running on reserve power through our brief stop at the hotel and load-in at Cicero’s. Greg and I walked down the street and bought a couple of coffees and poked around a very nice record store on Delmar St. called Vintage Vinyl. I cried for the money I didn’t have and wanted to spend.

On my way back to the club, I passed a small diner and something caught my eye. Koreans! Every stool at the counter held a Korean patron and the cook was a Korean. Sure enough, next to the American menu was another one carrying the delicious staples of the Korean diet. Jamie and Scott were already in there and I joined them for a revitalizing bowl of Bibimbap. "Vitamin B3” is one of my favorite dishes and its mix of vegetables, hot sauce, egg and beef gave me the boost I needed for the gig.

Cicero
’s is a pizza joint in front and a venue in back. The sound is impeccable, the beer list extensive and the staff treats touring bands well. We played second after local opener Superfun Yeah Yeah Rocketship. His one-man-band, comedy and dance act to pre-recorded laptop routine wasn’t something we hadn’t seen before, but his songs were a bit raunchier than some of the other acts I’d seen in that style. I actually found it really enjoyable and funny.

I thought our set was one of the best of the tour and I felt my post show non-drink-ticket premium beer was well earned. Our new tourmates My Dear Disco once again flashed their unbelievable chops and played a sweet set to the growing crowd. The Hard Lessons celebrated the release of their new limited edition 7” on St. Louis label Euclid Records. They played the A and B sides and killed it. This was one of my favorite shows yet.

With a 12am curfew to the all ages show, we were out of there by 12:30am… a friendly hour for once. Old drinking men like early shows.

Cheers!
Timothy Monger

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys were a mile and a half away from the house I grew up in! I have fond memories of The Loop, the neighborhood you guys were in, though I'm sure it's much built up since the 80s. Too cool. - Leah W.

    ReplyDelete